Following Christ's Teachings - Matthew 25:40 (NIV)
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."
Community Emergency Food Service
The Westside Good Neighbor Center is a place that people can come for emergency food assistance twelve times in an eighteen month period at no cost.
NEW EXPANDED HOURS OF OPERATION - OPEN 2nd Saturday's from 8:30-11:30 a.m
Open each Wednesday from 8:30-11:30 a.m
WATCH THE WEATHER, PLEASE DO NOT COME to the center if the National Weather Service has issued A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING or A TORNADO WARNING, THE CENTER WILL BE CLOSED. All clients and volunteers will be expected to leave the property immediately in case of warnings or lightning in the area due to outdoor operations. During the heat clients are encouraged to wait in their vehicles to stay cool.
Please observe the CDC Guidelines updated May 28, 2021:
1. Fully vaccinated persons can resume activities without wearing masks or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance. However, until the Board reviews and changes current policy, the center will continue to require all clients to wear a face covering and observe social distancing.
2. Clients check in at the walk-up window in the door. Clients will not enter the building.
3. Clients will fill out a shopping list which will have the total food points they can spend and turn it in at the walk-up window. Clients will receive a pickup number when they turn in their completed shopping list.
4. Center staff will fill the shopping list and bring the food outside to the pickup point.
5. Clients will go to the pickup point to get their food when their pickup number is announced.
Clients turn in completed shopping list at walk-up window.
Westside Good Neighbor Center - Food Pantry Location
Westside Good Neighbor Center – Call for Volunteers
Volunteers are encouraged to consider serving the needy on the second Saturday morning of each month from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. as the center begins new expanded hours of operation. Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older, or 14 if accompanied by a parent or guardian. Volunteers are needed to check-in clients and enter data in the computer, counsel clients, mark and stock shelves, help clients select food items, and check out clients. Some types of duties may require lifting food boxes, use of a two wheel cart to move frozen food from outdoor freezer to indoor freezers. Opportunities also exist to help unload the truck on Friday prior to Saturday opening. For more information, please contact Polly Hurst at 316-993-0431.
CARGILL GRANT RECEIVED
A special thank you to Cargill, Inc. Wichita, KS., for their generous donation to the Westside Good Neigbor Center. Here Lloyd and Polly Hurst (center) are presented a check for $600.00. The announcement was made by Debi Kreutzman, Community Relations Manager, Kansas Food Bank. The money will be used to buy food and center operations expenses.